One of the best ways to teach our sons to be gentlemen and to train them to be servant-leaders as Godly men is to give them opportunities to practice. As a girly-girl mom with three sons, our house is more of a “testoster-home”! But that doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy a good tea party! Here are some tips to help you throw a special event that will bless others and shape your boys into courteous young men:
- Set the stage by teaching your sons 3-5 manners that you want them to learn. They could include opening the door for a lady, introducing themselves politely, pulling out a chair from the table for a female guest, and asking her if she would like more tea/cream/jam etc. Practice in an informal way at home!
- Make some simple invitations and involve your boys in the process of decorating them in a special way. We think it’s especially wonderful to invite 3-5 elderly ladies or widows from our local church!
- Once the day arrives, show the boys how to drape the table with a pretty cloth and center it correctly. If you have a garden, assist them in picking out some beautiful flowers for a centerpiece. Let them help you place the silverware on the table and allow them to handle the precious china carefully. Explain to them that ladies are like that china cup-to be handled with special care because they are unique and special!
- When the guests arrive, kindly encourage your sons to follow through on the manners you have taught them and guide them through it-be encouraging and kind-they don’t need to aim for perfection, just have fun!
- Enjoy the tea party! And your well-mannered, sophisticated sons!
What other methods or activities do you use to influence your children to be courteous?
Follow me on Facebook for more inspiration and discussion: http://www.facebook.com/MotherOfKnights?ref=hl
Find me on Twitter: Amber Lia
Start pinning on Pinterest as well: http://pinterest.com/amills6/